Pages

Thursday 12 September 2013

Seventeen Cameo Crush Textured Polish | Swatch & Review

Hiiii! I know, I 'don't do' swatch posts...but today I do! 




I had no idea that Boots' own brand Seventeen (or 17, whichever you prefer) was even making textured polishes. I had been planning on picking up one or two of the GOSH ones until I happened to spot these while waiting on a prescription.  Boy, am I glad I did!




Seventeen Rock Hard Couture Nail Effects in Cameo Crush (mouthful!) is a turquoise-based matte textured polish with an insane quantity of golden sparkle and also (I think) some holographic or at least iridescent sparkle, too. It was impossible to capture the true beauty of Cameo Crush on camera but please trust me when I tell you it's a mega GLITTERBOMB and utterly gorgeous. I'm not entirely au fait with the plethora of textured polishes available, but this one seems unique to me! I can sum up how this polish made me feel in two words: mermaid princess. Seriously.




Formula & Application: Dreamy! It may seem a little thick if you are used to applying very thin coats, presumably due to all the particles in it, but I found it incredibly easy to control. These pictures show two coats and next to no clean-up, even on my 'other' hand - massive bonus! In terms of opacity, you could probably get away with one thick coat, but two definitely looks better - the sparkle is intensified and you get an even distribution of texture. The brush is flat, quite small and nicely pliable - no complaints! 

I waited a good ten or fifteen minutes between my coats. I don't know if that was strictly necessary but it seemed to work well. My second coat tended to be thicker so it could glide over the already-textured nail and seemed to take a little longer to dry. If you haven't used textured polishes before (I hadn't), watching them dry is a fascinating thing. At first stroke, this seems like a fairly ordinary glittery polish, shiny and not textured at all. When it's half-way dry it develops some texture and also a metallic sort of 'sheen' - I was glad it didn't stop there! As it dries down completely, it becomes matte and the texture and sparkle come into their own. The shade also appears a little lighter when dry.





Removal: More difficult than a crème polish, but nothing like an all-out glitter. Really it just requires a little patience. I might consider using foil in the future, at least in part to try to avoid getting glitter particles all over my hands, haha. I had half expected some staining given the colour, but if there was any at all it was minimal and easily removed by a little scrubbing with a nail brush.


Blurry sparkles!


These Rock Hard Couture polishes are priced at £3.99 each and are currently buy one get one half price. The other shades are a gold called 'Charm Bracelet' (which I'm wearing right now) and an iridescent white ('Celestial Pearl' - next on my list) and a pink with gold sparkle ('Bijoux Baby').

Overall, I'm absolutely blown away by this polish. I was a texture-sceptic, but I have been converted! I'm delighted that the British high street has come up with such a high quality alternative to brands which are more difficult and expensive to get hold of in the UK; and in particular that they've produced some original shades. I really hope these polishes get the attention they deserve and that Seventeen makes more colours! I know I'm going to be hassling them to...




So, how was my first swatch post? Did I cover everything you might want to know? Do you love this polish like I do? Please also let me know if you'd be happy to see more swatch posts - it's not something I envision doing a great deal of, but occasionally I come across something I love enough to want to share! 

19 comments:

  1. I like swatches, but I love this one! My god it's so sparkly and shiny and beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yooou! I honestly love this polish so much - I think it might be one of my 'desert island' polishes haha.

      Delete
  2. That polish looks amazing! The golden glitter reminds me of the Kiko Sugar Mats but the colour is just... wow!

    I completely understand your "problem" with swatches. I'm not a big swatcher myself. I usually write review/swatch posts of the polish that I use as my base for nail art in the same post as the actual nail art. I just have to remember to take step by step pictures when painting my nails! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love it sooo much. I've only seen swatches of the Kiko Sugar Mats (though I've come so close to placing an order) but I get what you mean about the golden sparkle. I really like that this seems to be a pretty unique colour. :)

      Yes! I think I'll definitely do that in future (if I do more swatching). I did think about it for this one but I was a bit pushed for time and also wasn't sure about doing nail art with textures, though I know others have said it works really well. And you're so right about remembering to take pictures, haha.

      Delete
  3. I am not a huge fan of texture polish unless they have some sparkle to them - they otherwise look like stucco on the side of some cement building! But this one is really stunning and your photo/swatches are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss I absolutely know what you mean. I think the creamy ones can look cool on other people and I have seen them in some really fun colours but I know I'd find it weird on my own nails! This one definitely won me over on the sparkly ones, though and thank you so much for your kind & encouraging words. :)

      Delete
  4. I've nominated you for the Liebster Award http://www.neonsparklynails.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Emmy! I'm really hoping to find time to put together a Liebster post soon. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. Hi love, sorry - I'm nominating you too!!
    I'm over at http://bathelennails.blogspot.co.uk/ - comment back so I can see your answers to my questions :)

    Love your nail art - you are so talented! Also I saw this polish in boots today and am now gutted I didn't buy it ...

    Bx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiii! Thank you so much for your nomination and your kind words. :) I really intend to make a Liebster post soon. Also buuuy it! I'm trying to pimp them out to everyone in the hope that 17 will make more hahaha. Also, I notice that you're also a Scottish blogger so YAY for us! x

      Delete
  6. Stunning! Love this so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anutka! I'm a big fan of this range of polishes!

      Delete
  7. Woah, these certainly pack a punch don't they! I've never thought about trying a 17 polish before but I might just have to pop into boots tomorrow and have a browse in their section! The textured polish looks absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been ages since I'd bought a 17 polish before I picked this one up but these are awesome...even having tried a few others since, the 17 textures are probably still my favourites!

      Delete
  8. hey, What camera did you use for thses shots, they seem so clear?(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally didn't realise I hadn't replied to all these comments, sorry! It's a Panasonic TZ18. It's not a DSLR or anything but it gets the job done, mostly! I think having good lighting is one of the most important things, and a little bit of photo editing helps too!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ! I haven't worn this one for ages but I still looove the 17 textures!

      Delete
  10. There are also the original Seventeen Rock Hard Nail Effects. They did non-glittery Black, Grey, Red and Navy colours...

    ReplyDelete